Recommendations for VPN end point appliances?

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Jun 14 10:00:01 EDT 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, at 9:32am, hewitt_tech at comcast.net wrote:
> He dropped one line that really annoyed me. He stated that Windows Server
> 2003 performed a new authentication protocol that would break most Samba
> network share setups.

  It's not new.  There has long been a feature in NT that supports "signing"
of Server Message Blocks.  Samba doesn't support it.  You could also set a
system to require signing.  With Win2K3, that is on by default.  You can
make it optional again with a registry tweak.  You also need to do this if
you have Win9X/ME boxes in your network.  Ho-hum.

> I may be miss-remembering this because he was also describing the new
> Windows XP SP2 release which he described as "a total re-write".

  Yah, they totally rewrote the "1" to a "2".  ;-)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>