Search list archives?

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Wed Jun 23 11:27:01 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 10:29, Randy Edwards wrote:

>     Please forgive this seemingly stupid question, but I'm not up to speed
> on MailMan.
>
>     Is there a way to search the GNHLUG mailing list archive online or do I
> have to d/l the 26MB file and grep it?  Gentle whacks with a clue-bat are
> appreciated.

You could always search through google. The search pattern

    linux  inurl:/pipermail/ site:gnhlug.org

should find every message in the list archives that contains the
word "linux".

On the BLU site, I set up a search box to automate this:

    <form method="get" action="http://www.google.com/search">
    <input type="text" name="q" size=31 maxlength=255 valie="" />
    <select name="q" size=1>
        <option value="inurl:pipermail/announce">announce</option>
        <option value="inurl:pipermail/discuss">discuss</option>
    </select>
    <input type="submit" name="sa" value="Search Google" />
    <input type="hidden" name="as_sitesearch" value="blu.org" />
    <input type="hidden" name="num" value="100" />
    </form>

I found this in the O'Reilly "Google Hacks" book a while back.

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9