Sendmail on a multihomed server...

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Jun 29 22:35:01 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, Jun 29th 2004 at 18:32 -0400, quoth Fred:

=>Hello.
=>
=>Have a question about Sendmail -- I want to change its default outgoing
=>IP address to a different one, i.e. bind it to a different address for
=>its outgoing connections. There does not seem to be an obvious way to do
=>this. Any clues?
=>
=>I got hit with a subtle issue that made the server look like an open
=>relay, though technically it was not. It seems that when you use the
=>'relay_entire_domain' feature or macro, it chops one level off the
=>server's domain name. Thus, if your server is set up as "theworld.com",
=>it chops off "theworld" part, allowing your server to relay anything
=>comming from the com TLD! This will get you an immediate blacklisting by
=>AOL, and it's darn near impossible to get off that blacklist, though
=>they claim their server will "check every 24 hours." Meanwhile, our
=>clients who happen to be on AOL can't receive email from us.
=>
=>So, all I need to do is tell Sendmail to use a different IP address for
=>its outgoing connections, but thus far all the obvious approaches have
=>failed. Outside of juggling IP orders on the NIC, is there a way to bind
=>Sendmail to a different outgoing IP address?
=>
=>Thanks.

Sounds interesting but I'm *almost* sure I'm not understanding your
question completely. So to help me understand your problem better, let me
suggest a solution and then you can explain why that won't work.

Why don't you tell your sendmail server to relay all the mail through
theworld.com? That way you get rid of the mail, they're happy to get it
from you because (I assume) you are a client of Barry's, and the mail gets
delivered by the actual correct server. And you get the added benefit of
being SPF compliant.

steveo at syslang.net