Desktop apps

Randy Edwards redwards at golgotha.net
Wed Mar 3 12:25:36 EST 2004

> the apps you mention available for Linux.  Or in the GvP case, what is
> needed to get the Linux alternative up to snuff.

    I've always seen the GIMP vs. Photoshop issue as one primarily due to
the monopoly-like dominance of Photoshop.  That combined with factors like a
quirky UI, the lack of an "official" Windows GIMP port, and the fact that
the users of these programs typically aren't the deepest, meant that the
GIMP didn't get much traction.  This amazes me because the documentation for
the GIMP is first-rate.

    With GIMP v2 the user interface is supposed to have been totally redone.
  I haven't played with v2 so I can't say (Has anyone? If so, comments?).
If the UI is improved perhaps that combined with the GIMP's increasing
standardized usage in the animation industry might mean it could finally
make some serious headway.  But still, I'm not holding my breath... :-)

--
  Regards, | "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket
  .        | fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who