p2p, anonymity and security

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Thu Mar 11 00:15:01 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 12:04:57AM -0500, Greg Rundlett wrote:
> I also want to get a general purpose p2p tool similar to Napster, for
> sharing ogg, mp3 or other multimedia files.  The number one prerequisite
> here is which tool/protocol offers the best anonymity.

I feel obligated to point out that you are basically advertising in a
relatively public forum your intention to violate Federal law.  This
is rather a bad idea, particularly in today's climate.  It is
certainly possible to exchange materials which do not have copyrights
to which you are not the owner via these file sharing networks;
however I don't think anyone here is naive enough to believe that is
(exclusively) what you intend...

What you have said is almost certainly not enough to charge you, but
if interested parties were/are paying attention, it's probably enough
for them to get a subpoena...

As you point out yourself, there's virtually no way to guarantee your
anonimity using these networks.  It would only work if you were using
some sort of anonimizing service.  Anonymizer will do this for web
content, but I don't think it will do it for file sharing networks.

In any event, these kinds of services (if they exist) are no less
obligated to respond to subpoenas than you are... depending on
jurisdiction issues.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/