p2p, anonymity and security

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Fri Mar 12 13:32:01 EST 2004

Travis Roy wrote:

> How do you know that? Perhaps he wants to share legal content but
> doesn't want everybody and their brother knowing his IP address, name,
> and location. Bands like Guster allow sharing of their music if it's a
> live show that they taped. You can get tons of their shows on
> archive.org. I host guster.net for a friend and he has many many media
> files up that the band has no problem with.

This past spring, my wife and I were fortunate enough to 'discover' and
see the Bruce Marshall Group play twice in two weekends.  (from the old
Marshall Tucker band).  At the second show, he was hawking his latest
CD's (one of which was obviously burned on a home computer), and I
bought both.  I'm not about to violate his copyright by distributing his
music, but I sure wish it were easy to find some like it on the
Internet, so I could find out where to buy it.  You can freely download
mp3 files from his website (brucemarshall.net).  I would hope that these
are half songs--with an audio message indicating where to find him on
the Internet so that you can buy them.  My point is that here is
somebody who is sharing mp3 files on the Internet, and he is not a
pirate.  In fact, I bet Bruce would like to know how to share his demos
on p2p networks.  So would I.  And I'm interested in propagating that
knowledge so that artists like Bruce can lead a new Internet
distribution model that fits fans and artists, not the RIAA.  That's why
I asked my original question.

In retrospect, I should have said something like "I want to use p2p
tools with various enencumbered historical, cultural, art, software and
music assets, encoded in royalty-free formats such as ogg" so that I
could try to sidestep the issue of being labeled a copyright-infringing
pirate.