List Archive (Was: Re: p2p, anonymity and security)

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Fri Mar 12 14:42:03 EST 2004

>>This is a "check and balance" that the internet community (ISPs and
>>backbones, mostly) agreed to at the inception of the internet - back
>>when it was split from the Arpanet.
>

> This "check and balance" is a violation of domain owners' privacy,
> which should not be possible without just cause, i.e. a court order.
> These days it may be possible to hide your information with some
> registrars; it was not when I registered pizzashack.

You had several choices you could have made. You could have not
registered the domain. You could have had a friend register it for you,
you could have had a sub domain of a friends domain (Like
pizzashack.scootz.net), you could have filled in bogus information for
part of it (like 978.org does), you could have got an anonymous mail
drop and registered it with that address.

> So, how much privacy should we be required to
> sacrifice?

This is true for ANYTHING you do. When you go to school you give up some
privacy, when you walk down the street, when you get a bank account,
when you get a job, when you get a credit card, a phone number. I gave
up some when I got a ham radio license, anybody can go and look up my
call sign and see my address from last time I renewed. For those interested:

N1UEV
TRAVIS J ROY
PO BOX 41
GOFFSTOWN NH 03045
USA

> In my opinion, which should surprise no one, the answer is almost
> none.  Only what is absolutely essential in order to make things work.
> My ISP knows who I am...  No one else needs to, unless a) I want them
> to, or b) they can get a court order because of something I did to
> them.

Then you should take better care to protect your info. There are tons of
instances online of your email address on google. You say you want
privacy, you say you want your email address not getting out there but
you already have posted it all over the internet yourself. This little
mailing list should be the least of your concerns