p2p, anonymity and security

p.lussier at comcast.net p.lussier at comcast.net
Fri Mar 12 23:37:00 EST 2004

In a message dated: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 01:04:41 +0900
Derek Martin said:

>Note also that I said "basically" -- perhaps my choice of words was
>sub-optimal, but I included this word to suggest the possibility that
>this is not actually what you intend to do.  Nevertheless, what you
>actually said was this:
>
>> I also want to get a general purpose p2p tool similar to Napster,
>> for sharing ogg, mp3 or other multimedia files.  The number one
>> prerequisite here is which tool/protocol offers the best anonymity.
>
>Whether or not you actually plan to violate the law, you clearly want
>to share types of files which exist primarily, almost to the exclusion
>of anything else, to represent music digitally.  The usual case is for
>such files to be ripped from copyrighted CDs.  You mention Napster, a
>tool notoriously associated with copyright infringement.

And how do you, and of these supposed lawyers know that he is not
planning on re-distributing stuff he has legally downloaded from
furthur.net, which exists solely to distribute LEGALLY
redistributable music in the form of MP3, SHN, OGG, and other formats
(including videos) ?

What he stated was not something that reads of illegal intent, what
he stated was an intent to share music.  It is the copyright of the
music which makes it's sharing legal or illegal.

For all the RIAA lawyers out there, I have legally downloaded
gigabytes worth of music from furthur.net just so I NO LONGER NEED TO
BUY YOUR CRAP :)
--

Seeya,
Paul