(no subject)

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Mar 17 09:54:01 EST 2004

Thanks, Eric. That's pretty much what I've gathered so far. I've used MySQL
on a few test projects in-house and it is easy to use, well-documented and
has a pretty rich 3rd party community. However, when I started looking at
it, it looked like it was "free to play around in, free to develop" and $375
to deploy. "Conventional wisdom" was that once a developer owned a license,
he/she could deploy many solutions. Now, the MySQL web site seems to be
tightening up on the definition, requiring a commercial license *per CPU* at
the still-reasonable price of $495. And if the client wants to deploy it on
a 4-CPU box, well, we're starting to talk real money.

I'm not opposed to people making money from their software (that's what I
do), but I want some certainty in the licensing and predictable future
costs, as well.

Besides, it's the "M" in LAMP. Who wants to deliver a LAPP solution? (okay,
you guys in the peanut gallery, quiet down!)

PostgreSQL looks promising. Guess I'll focus some R&D there... Thanks again!