F/OSS Database experiences & recommendations

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Wed Mar 17 16:15:00 EST 2004

> Ted Roche writes:
>
> > I would welcome experiences and opinions (like I have to ask!) on the
> > various database backends available.

I've used both MySQL and PostgreSQL extensively. My take on them is that
if you need something lightweight and fast to implement that non-DBA
types can handle then use MySQL. If you need a full-fledged production
database use PostgreSQL.

Some of the really nice features of PostgreSQL are:

- You can create your own functions use either the pgsql 'language' or
  are written in some other language such as C, C++, and so on. I'm
  using this capability to be able to have a function within the DB that
  generates GUID values. The function is actually written in C.
  (Note: The much ballyhooed MS SQL Server does *not* let you create
   functions of any sort. Bah!)

- You can create stored procedures (MySQL claims this is coming).

- You can define triggers (MySQL can't do this).

- The time handling is exceptional. One place where I'm using the DB
  requires being able to display dates and times to users anywhere in
  the world using their own timezone. The time handling in the DB really
  helps a lot in making this job easier. (Note: not all timezones are
  a full hour apart from each other!) I know of no other database that
  can deal with time as well.

Note that you can get GUI tools for administering it. The only one I've
fooled with much runs on Windows though. It is the EMS PostgreSQL
Manager. I believe there are a number of other tools out there that
provide a GUI for you.

--

Dan Coutu
Managing Director