F/OSS Database experiences & recommendations

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Thu Mar 18 20:33:01 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 09:07, Cole Tuininga wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 16:13, Dan Coutu wrote:
> > Some of the really nice features of PostgreSQL are:
>
> *snip*
>
> We've been considering taking another look at postgresql.  There was two
> things that were rather lacking last time we looked at it and I was
> wondering if you had any take on it:
>
> 1) Realtime replication was kludgy and unreliable.  This is a
> requirement for us.  Has anybody had recent experience with it?  Is it
> any better?

I've not tried to do any replication with it.

> 2) User management just plain stunk.  Defining users and their
> permissions were done in a very limited fashion in a setup file.  Has
> this gotten any better?

Well, maybe this is where not using older versions has me at a loss. I
only know that it has "create user" and "grant" SQL commands that are
typically used for managing users. On top of that I know they work! :-)

I've created new users and granted them specific access to certain
tables in a database via standard SQL. Seems pretty straightforward
to me. No file was necessary. Isn't that what you were expecting?

--

Dan Coutu
Managing Director