Can this be protected?

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Thu Mar 25 15:06:01 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 14:27, Tilly, Lawrence wrote:
>  I want to provide my email address so that visitors that do not
> already know the login info can drop me a line to request it (giving
> me the chance to be sure I know who is getting it).

I can see two options for you. Before I dive in let me share that I
am changing my own website from using a mailto: link to using a web
form. The reason for this is that people who use webmail such as
hotmail, yahoo mail, etc. often do not have anything configured on
their system to respond to a mailto: link and they then get very
confused when some mail client they've never seen before pops up.

You can see a live example of email obfuscation on my home page.
Just download the thing and look at the Javascript there.

The basic idea is: use Javascript to assemble a valid email
address 'on the fly' from bits and pieces of valid and bogus
data. It will look right in a real browser and will work just
fine. Most spambots don't implement a full-blown javascript
parser though. :-)

--
Dan Coutu
Managing Director