Non-module parameters

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Mar 29 19:23:00 EST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, at 4:07pm, colet at code-energy.com wrote:
> Here's a question for folks - there's a kernel option I turn on (support
> for a particular NIC) but I need to pass it parameters.

  In that case, you need to pass arguments via the kernel command line.
This is typically done using your boot loader.  For example, when you type

	linux root=/dev/hda1

or whatever at the "LILO boot:" prompt, you're passing arguments via the
kernel command line.

  The specific arguments for the driver you're using depend on the driver.
Check the documentation (or the source) for the driver.  Many of these are
also documented in the "BootPrompt" HOWTO, but that document hasn't been
updated in about a year.

  Personally, I try to make everything I can a module.  Having to reboot to
change a driver parameter reminds me too much of Windoze.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>