printing a file from cron using cups and/or lpd

p.lussier at comcast.net p.lussier at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 22:10:01 EST 2004

In a message dated: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:26:51 EST
Greg Rundlett said:

>That's what I originally thought, but when I Googled for something like
>Kprinter Cups +"print from shell" or something along those lines, I
>couldn't find anything, so I went off on the wrong tangent.

Err, I'm confused as to what you're trying to do.

Assuming you have a cups server properly configured somewhere, and a
cups client configured to use that server, you should be able to
simply do:

  lp -d<printer name> file.name

I do this daily and it "just works".

If you have the cups-bsd package (at least on Debian) then you should
be able to run 'lpd' instead of 'lp'.  But this also requires running
the "lpd to lp daemon" on the client to properly convert things to
the way the cups server expects to receive them.
--

Seeya,
Paul