Quick Postfix Question...

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Mon May 3 16:33:00 EDT 2004

Hey all,

I'm using Postfix 2.0.13-3mdk and seem to be hitting a snag in the DNS
realm...

When I try to send an email from the box, I get a bounce error.  The
message is:

May  3 16:20:44 palin postfix/smtp[3852]: 6A714124932:
to=<brian at datasquire.net>, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (Name
service error for name=datasquire.net type=A: Host found but no data
record of requested type)

Now the odd thing in my mind is that when I look up the MX record it
looks fine:

[root at palin root]# host -t mx datasquire.net
datasquire.net mail is handled by 10 www.datasquire.net.
[root at palin root]# host www.datasquire.net
www.datasquire.net has address 66.92.91.82
[root at datasquire root]#

My question is why the heck is the postfix process looking for an A
record for datasquire.net and not www.datasquire.net?  Is there a
setting in one of the conf files I can change or is the only solution to
add an A record for datasquire.net or an A record for @?

Thanks,

Brian

|   brian at datasquire.net            http://www.hirebrian.net  |
|                Simply the Best IT/MIS Manager               |
|          Self-taught, Fast Learner, and Team Player         |
|            Ready to Start TODAY at Your Company.            |