IRC Server

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Tue May 4 14:13:00 EDT 2004

> I have somebody who would like to have an IRC server set up for
> conferences (no real concerns about the chats being secured).  They'd
> prefer to have their own (nice quiet) server rather than getting on one
> of the networks.
>
> I haven't used IRC in quite some time.  Anybody have recommendations for
> IRC server software?  Their needs are fairly simple - they really just
> need a single channel for the most part.  Requiring a password to
> connect to the server would be a plus.
>
> Any thoughts?

quick & dirty answer:

If you're not on the 'net (inside a firewall), just use the plain irc
server & whatever clients people have.  It's fairly lightweight.

If it's out on the net
     make it only listen on 127.0.0.1
     have everyone ssh into the server and tunnel irc to it
     point your irc client to localhost

On a similar note, does anyone know of an IM server that will serve
AIM/Yahoo/MSN clients?  So you can keep all your messages inside your net
instead of trekking out to AIM/Yahoo/MSN & back?