Comcast blocking port 25? (not what you think)

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Mon May 10 11:11:02 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 10:52, Travis Roy wrote:
> I just find it stupid that they would do something like this. It's one
> thing to block port 80 since running a webserver is against the AUP/TOS,
> but to block access to an outside mail server smells of crushing the
> competition and limiting choice.

No more stupid than people writing viruses and spam.

Anyone running an SMTP or web server on comcast is violating the TOS.
All comcast is doing is shutting down these "rogue" servers to prevent
them from being used for relaying spam and/or virus/worm propogation.

Of course, one can always give up on computers and become a farmer ;-)

--Bruce