Comcast blocking port 25? (not what you think)

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Mon May 10 12:16:01 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 11:42:56AM -0400, Travis Roy wrote:
> Brian wrote:
> >Why don't they just use Comcasts provided SMTP server?  What is the real
> >benefit of having them send through your server?
>
> It's always been setup that way.. And I think the comcast server
> requires some kind of auth, and my parents never even setup a
> @comcast.net email address.

None of that is needed.  I have my machine forwarding via smtp.comcast.com
without authentication and it shows up as if coming directly from wayga.org.
See the headers for more info.

Just have them use smtp.comcast.net as their SMTP server, but leave the rest
of the headers as-is.

I have a slight concern that my e-mail is going through comcast, but then
again, if I really want secure I can use GPG.

-Mark