Linux and Open Source in NH Schools

Matt Oquist moquist at css.tayloru.edu
Sat May 15 13:23:01 EDT 2004

> > From: Ed Lawson=20
> > To: gnhlug-org
> > Subject: Linux and Open Source in NH Schools
> > Date: 13 May 2004 13:17:05 -0400
> >
> > I think it is fair to say thinks are moving forward at a very rapid rate
> > and it would be nice if GNHLUG could find a way to facilitate and assist
> > this activity.  From my perspective, the lack of organization and
> > coordinated activities, as much as that might work internally and among
> > ourselves,  is a major limiting factor when dealing other organizations.
> >  I feel GNHLUG is for this reason, as perhaps it should be, more a small
> > and loose collection of kindred spirit Linux users as opposed to an
> > organization which also engages in activities for its promotion and
> > education about its use.

I'll pop in here to reiterate an invitation to GNHLUG members (and all
other OSS/FS enthusiasts) to join Greater Nashua Sustainable Software
(GNSS) in coordinated activities to promote the awareness and usage of
OSS/FS in NH.

GNSS was also represented at the Wednesday meeting Ed Lawson refers to,
and we have several projects to start working on immediately to bring
Linux and OSS/FS to NH schools.

We need volunteers to help on these projects.  Among other things, we
have the opportunities to:

- manage an online hub for collaboration between NH educators interested
  in OSS/FS (we have an assistant superintendent who is very interested
  in this)
- offer free mini-workshops (or even longer ones, if someone wants to
  :-) on using OSS/FS in schools (we have offers to use state
  facilities to host the workshops)
- write a guide to using Linux and OSS/FS in schools, for inclusion in
  the Tech Planning Guide published on the NHEON.org website by the NH
  State Dept. of Ed.

We're organizing a meeting in Nashua over lunch either Tuesday or Friday
next week to discuss the presentation Brett Heath-Wlaz and I gave at the
meeting on Wednesday, and to plan how we will tackle these projects.

Please join us!  If you're interested in joining GNSS or finding out
more about us, see our website ( http://gnss.majen.net/ ) and/or sign up
for our mailing list (instructions at
http://majen.net/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=MailingList ).

-- Matt Oquist

Greater Nashua Sustainable Software :
  Providing Free Open Source Consulting for your Non-Profit Organization

http://gnss.majen.net
gnss-consult at majen.net