spam filters

Kevin D. Clark kevin_d_clark at access-4-free.com
Tue May 18 00:16:01 EDT 2004

I haven't messed around with my SpamAssassin setup for a while now,
except to enhance some of the basic scoring checks.

However, I recall that I encountered two problems when I attempted to
use SpamAssassin's spamd/spamc combination:

   o  my databases for spam/ham wordlists seemed to get misplaced, or,
      at least, not consulted when spamc was processing incoming
      mail.

   o  my use of Vipul's Razor seemed to get munged somehow (identity
      problems, I think)

I started to track these problems down, and I surmised that the
problem here had something to do with the fact that I was running
spamd as root and running spamc as my own userid.  But then I got
really busy and wasn't able to track down the rest of the details
relevant to the problem.  Running "spamassassin" directly and not
using spamc/spamd always worked, so I continue to use this to this
day.  This might be a tiny bit slower, but it works well for me.

Does this general problem ring a bell with anybody?  If so, what did
you do to get around this problem?

Thanks,

--kevin

PS  My environment is: