Posix threads in RHAT9

Paul Iadonisi pri.lugofnh at iadonisi.to
Wed May 19 14:22:00 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 13:12, Michael ODonnell wrote:

[snip]

> kernel to support the NPTL, but what if you're running
> your own kernel.org kernel on that box instead of the
> RHAT kernel?  Can I still build/run a pthreaded app on
> that box?  Is the non-RHAT kernel detected, causing the
> system to use a different threading model?

  From what I gathered after following several discussions about this
since Red Hat released their nptl-enabled 2.4 kernel, the general answer
is 'yes'.  The glibc developers took great pains to ensure that if you
are not running an nptl kernel, then older Linux thread model is used.
  As far as the politics go, I didn't know that there was any lurching
back and forth at all.  Red Hat did take some heat, but it was a little
bizarre, if you ask me.  This was something that was clearly going to be
integrated into the 2.6 kernel and, in fact, has been.  Not a Red
Hat-only effort, by any means.  Basically, people were upset that they
had to fix their apps to work with the new ntpl threading model.  Most
apps worked fine, but there were a few (wine and bind, for example) that
had to be fixed.  But AFAIK, most were fixed pretty quickly.
  HTH.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator