802.11g - Success story!

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Tue Nov 9 17:16:00 EST 2004

I just thought I'd post this here, as the online docs are severely lacking.

I recently upgraded my wireless network to 802.11g and spent about a day
researching the best card for my laptop.

I ended up with a Netgear WG511.  The docs ar http://prism54.org said
their driver had a very high success rate and the card was available at
the CompUSA in Nashua.

So I got the combo-kit that netgear puts out with a card and router.
The router was DOA (no powerup) and the card kept giving me errors
looking for firmware.

So today, I return the set and replace them with a seperate WG511 and a
Linksys router.  (Same price and the Linksys allows replacement
antennas...).  Looking again at the http://prism54.org site, I see a
firmware page and check it out.  It says you need to find the "firmware"
and rename it and toss it in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.

So I do that, downloading the version from the quasi-legal web page. I
rename the file as it says and place it in the right place.

I figure I'll see what the exact error message is in case I need to
email it out and ask for help.... and Lo! I see that I just got a DHCP
address from the router!  It was working perfectly.

So, for anyone looking to use 802.11g under Linux, here's one
configuration that worked well for me:

Mandrake Linux 10.0 Official Download Edition.
Make sure hotplug is installed.
Make sure you have the Proism54 drivers.  Mine were in
/lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdk/kernel/3rdparty/prism54/ and were a part of the
kernel-2.6.3.7mdk-1-1mdk.rpm package.
Download http://prism54.org/~mcgrof/firmware/1.0.4.3.arm
Rename the file to isl3890 and place it wherever your hotplug settings
are looking.  Usually this is /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware (I had to create
this directory).
Plug in your NetGear WG511.
Smile as you get a connection.

I haven't played with custom settings yet, like WPA, or WEP yet.  My
WiFi network is firewalled and open as a FreeNet.  I'll play with WEP
settings next time I head up to the office.  If anyone here is
interested, I'll post those results.

Brian

|   brian at datasquire.net            http://www.hirebrian.net  |
|                Simply the Best IT/MIS Manager               |
|          Self-taught, Fast Learner, and Team Player         |
|            Ready to Start TODAY at Your Company.            |