For those following Sender based authentication - a question

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Mon Nov 22 10:51:01 EST 2004

Benjamin Scott wrote:

> Sheesh.  HELO is not a header.  :-) <snip> RFC-2821, Section 4.1.1.1,
> Paragraph 3, further states:
>
> ... In any event, a client MUST issue HELO or EHLO before starting a
> mail transaction.
>
> Any questions?  :-)

None now, sir. :-)

I did a little research and realized that the reason various mail
servers allowed email without HELO was because of broken mail servers
(apparently, WinNT had one - surprise, surprise). And Daniel Borstein
(of qmail fame) felt HELO/EHLO was obsolete. I never went back to the
RFCs like I should have. Thanks for the definitive clarification.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951