ldap?

Jared Watkins jared at watkins.net
Mon Nov 22 23:45:01 EST 2004

jsf wrote:

>Does anyone here have serious LDAP-FU?

Take a look at my example layout for an admin tool I'm working on called
ldaycyradm...  for cyrus imap backed with an ldap user database.  (The
tool is not released yet.. but is testing and in cvs)

In my company we have about 40 markets and have most users located under
the container for that market...   we don't track 'assets' but it could
be done the same way.. and btw.. GQ is a good gui ldap editor under linux.

o=amcity.com

  |- ou=Groups

     |= cn=Group1,ou=Groups,o=amcity.com
     |= cn=Group2,ou=Groups,o=amcity.com . . .

  |- ou=People

     |= uid=person1,ou=People,o=amcity.com
     |= uid=person2,ou=People,o=amcity.com  . . .

  |- ou=Units

     |- ou=Albany

        |= uid=person1,ou=Albany,ou=People,o=amcity.com
        |= uid=person2,ou=Albany,ou=People,o=amcity.com . . .

     |- ou=Baltimore

        |= uid=person1,ou=Baltimore,ou=People,o=amcity.com
        |= uid=person2,ou=Baltimore,ou=People,o=amcity.com . . .

  |- ou=Special Users

     |- ou=Non Employees (Used for real people who need accounts who are not on the payroll)

        |= uid=account1,ou=Non Employees,ou=Units,o=amcity.com
        |= uid=account2,ou=Non Employees,ou=Units,o=amcity.com . . .

     |- ou=Non People (Used mostly for generic email accounts ex sales at domain.com <mailto:sales at domain.com> not tied to an employee)

     |- ou=Public Folders (Ldap accounts to hold meta data about public folders on cyrus)

     |- ou=Test Accounts

     |- ou=Forwarders (Email accounts that ONLY forward somewhere else and do not store mail in cyrus.. used only
                       by my postfix mta script (updatelocaltables.php)  it will see these entries and create
                       canonical maps to rewrite the recipients based on the contents of the attribs.
                       (See the script header for more info on how this works)