Remote Debian install?

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Fri Nov 26 10:45:00 EST 2004

Between Randy's and Bill's replies, I think I've figured it out.  Please
let me know if anyone sees any holes in it:

1) Log into my RH box.
2) Take the swap partition out of /etc/fstab.
3) Fdisk the swap partition to be type 83, and format it with a "real" FS.
4) Do a minimal install of Debian on a machine local to me.
5) Tar the files over (via SSH or somesuch) to the RH box's former swap
partition.
6) Configure /etc/fstab to reflect its new reality.
7) MAKE SURE that networking (modules and config) are correct.
8) MAKE SURE that ssh is set to start automatically.
9) Make the bootloader on the RH side point to the Debian side.
10) Type "reboot", and hope...

Assuming it comes up, I've got a minimal Debian install.  As far as I
see, here comes the hard part.  Because now I want to blow away the RH
stuff.  Which means I really should install a new bootloader.  LILO is
the one I'm more familiar with installing from scratch, but it also
seems to be the one where you wind up looking at a lot of
0101010101010101 or somesuch on the console.  I've tried to install GRUB
from scratch before, and failed -- and RTFM'ing was kind of opaque. Can
anyone supply me with the magick(tm) one-line command that would install
GRUB with a /boot/vmlinuz kernel, from partition /dev/hda4?  I'm
conversant enough with the menu.lst file that I don't think I'll need
any help there.

Thanks!

-Ken