The First Linux Distro?

Tom Buskey tbuskey at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 22:19:00 EDT 2004

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 12:32:49 -0400, Ken D'Ambrosio <kend at xanoptix.com> wrote:
> Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

> September '91: Linux kernel 0.01 released
> October '92: SLS announced.
> November '92: Yggdrasil CD-ROM*
> June '93: Slackware hits the scene

I started with SLS (1.02?  Linux 0.93pl5)  in Fall '92.  On 5.25"
floppies.  I didn't have a CD but most others didn't too.  IDE was
rare so disks were MFM (or RLL) and CDs used a custom interface,
possibly off from the sound card.  Or SCSI.

People tried to send patches/fixes to SLS.  Things like the
permissions are wrong on various files and directories (/etc even).

Patrick V (right?) got fed up and came out with slakware which fixed
things in SLS.  He even used the exact same packaging scheme and
possibly some of the same packages.  There was a bit of a discussion
about weather he could do this.

SLS came out with one more release after slackware (1.04? 5?) but most
people had switched to slakware at this point.  Pat V fixed bugs, SLS
didn't.

I'm thinking all this predated Yggdrassil as I remember that coming
out in the spring.