Creating bootable linux CDROM using XP

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Sun Oct 3 21:52:00 EDT 2004

I'm working with a laptop that has a basic
XP Home installation on it and I'm trying to
create a bootable Debian CDROM.  The system
seems generally quite good at copying files
onto its CD drive but offers not even a hint
about how to make that CD bootable, so when I
dragged&dropped the Debian ISO onto the CD it
was just copied onto the CD as plain old data.

Other than the clicky-GUI drag'n'drop interface
on the XP box I can't find any software that
will admit to being able to manipulate the CDROM.

When I dogpiled for clues I found lots of advice
that seems to assume that I either have various
3rd party packages like Nero available (I don't)
or else that I'm working from within Linux and
can use stuff like cdrecord (I wish).  Anybody
know how to persuade a basic XP installation to
generate a bootable CDROM?