Creating bootable linux CDROM using XP

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Oct 4 09:00:01 EDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 10:32:50PM -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2004, at 21:51, Michael ODonnell wrote:
>
> >so when I
> >dragged&dropped the Debian ISO onto the CD it
> >was just copied onto the CD as plain old data.
>
> If the .iso is of a bootable CD-ROM all you have to do is write the
> bits to disk as-is.
>
> The first 1.44 or 2.88 MB of the disk image is basically a DOS-type
> floppy image that gets booted which then boots the CD-ROM (El Torito
> format).
>
> Perhaps when you drag&drop the CD software is reading the disk image
> format (is it FAT?) and remastering, losing the El Torito disk image.
>
> You want something that can explicitly burn a disk image.  Perhaps the
> windows utility can't do that but Nero can?  Or you can find someone
> with linux or a mac to write it for you...

To the best of my knowledge (since I've run into this problem before) -
the Windows utility can't, and Nero can. EasyCD Creator makes it
possible, but difficult to find, I think. Windows just burns the .iso as
a file.

I believe Nero has a 30 day trial that you can download, as that's what
I remember doing in the past, but it was a year ago, so I could be
wrong.

--
Christopher Schmidt
crschmidt at crschmidt.net