Unprivileged user shutdown

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Wed Oct 13 14:25:01 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 01:37:00PM -0400, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> Cole Tuininga writes:
> > I manage a system remotely for some people who are not terribly linux
> > (or really, computer) savvy.  When they need to move the server for
> > whatever reason, they just hit the power button to shut it off.
> >
> > Obviously, this is not preferable.
>
> I accidently hit the power button for a second on my Fedora Core 2 box
> (kernel 2.6.x) the other night.  A few seconds later, the system shut
> itself down cleanly.  No, there wasn't a whole lot going on on the box
> at the time.

Comes standard w/Fedora 2.

Its part of the acpi daemon (acpid).
Look in /etc/acpid/events dir - a file in there specifies
what action to take when the power button is pushed.

In a native Fedora 2 install its in "sample.conf".

--
Linux/Open Source.  Your base belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"

~
~
~
~