kernel 2.6.8

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Sat Oct 16 08:12:01 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 08:57, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 23:06 -0400, Fred wrote:
> > When all else fails, try swapping out the network card for a known good
> > one.
>
> This is my next step. I just haven't had time. Since the system in
> question is my worstation at work, I can't keep rebooting it, so I'm
> working on it at a slow pace.

Understood. Been there myself. :-/

> The card that I have is an Intel e1000 in a fairly new Dell which has
> worked perfectly under 2.6.7. And it seems to work fine under 2.6.8.1
> when X isn't running. So, I'm leaning toward something being wrong in  X
> that the new kernel doesn't like. I might just wait until 2.6.9 :-)

I'm not a big fan of Dell, personally. But I don't think that's your
problem. As far as X, on my setup I'm running XOrg under Fedora 2, and
aside from some minor flakiness with the Nvidia Geoforce accelerator,
I've not run into too many problems. Though I am suspicious of memory
leak issues with X related to my automating the backdrop changes and
using 3 monitors, but other than that it doesn't seem all that bad.

Yes, I like changing my backdrops constantly because I like it panning
through all my fractal Gravity Set maps. (look up "Gravity Set" at
wikipedia.org for more details.)

Anyway, good luck with that.

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
The mass of humans on planet Earth -- regard them as the ebbing