CVS, Mailman, and HTML

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Oct 18 09:55:01 EDT 2004

On Monday, Oct 18th 2004 at 08:58 -0400, quoth Kenneth E. Lussier:

=>Hi all,
=>
=>Yet another weird question from me on behalf of a user.....
=>
=>I found a system (called cvsspam) that will take the loginfo from CVS
=>and create a diff and e-mail it out. It was then requested that I have
=>the e-mails sent to a Mailman mailing list so that everything would be
=>archived nicely. No problems there. The problem is in the archiving.
=>Every e-mail is formatted in HTML so that the diffs are color coded and
=>pretty. Unfortunately, Mailman strips out the html. There is a link on
=>the page to the stripped html, but it opens up as plain text. The only
=>way to view it correctly is to copy it, save it to a file, and then open
=>it up again.
=>
=>Ideally, I would like to have the formatting left in the archives so
=>that they can just click on a particular e-mail and have it show up as
=>it was originally meant to. I have checked all of the options, but
=>nothing seems to allow me to do this. Has anyone ever archived html e-
=>mail using Mailman??
=>
=>TIA,
=>Kenny
=>

I don't have the specific answer to your question but maybe this will help
anyways. I run Majordomo2 (which is obviously better but has a lot of
similiar features). I can configure a MJ2 list to convert from whatever I
get to plaintext. You should look for that same feature and make sure that
it's not enabled on your Mailman list. Also, consider switching to MJ2.
:-)

steveo at syslang.net