Verizon DSL

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Tue Oct 19 10:28:01 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 17:06, K. Hergenrother wrote:
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I'm currently using att.net for my ISP over dialup through Comcast
> digital phone service.  To keep the story short, it looks like the
> least expensive high speed service I can get is to switch to a Verizon
> bundle of local, long distance, and DSL.  Reading their literature
> they look like a Microsoft house.  I think their ISP is MSN.  I
> probably will have Windows on my network for my wife.  Has anyone any
> experience with Verizon DSL?

My experiences with Verizon DSL have been horrid. They may be a bit
better today, but still...

A couple of years back, around 2000 - 2001 timeframe, I had need of DSL
services for my business. So, I tried Verizon.

They promised me DSL service, but it would take a month or two to get it
started.

So I waited. And waited. Called again, said they are still working on
it.

Then they had a strike. And I waited. And waited.

When the strike was over, I still waited...

Then I called up again, and they said they were working on it, and I
still waited.

Finally, 3 or 4 months down the road (!), I was informed that DSL
service would be impossible BECAUSE THEY RAN OUT OF PORTS ON THEIR END
FOR IT!!!!!!!

I wondered to myself how a big organization such as Verizon would be so
bad at resource tracking on their end, and treat their *business*
customers so badly.

So I promptly ditched anything Verizon and went with alternatives.

Now, admittedly, that was a few years back when the RBOCS were
struggling with the new DSLAM technologies and the like, but still!

There are alternatives for DSL providers, such as Conversant --
unfortunately, not all of them service the residential customers.
Conversant itself will only service businesses the last time I checked.
So shop around.

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
The mass of humans on planet Earth -- regard them as the ebbing