Migration from Windows to Linux

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Wed Oct 27 14:59:01 EDT 2004

David,

First of all, welcome to Linux!  8)  As with learning anything new, it
can be frustrating at times.  It can also be very liberating knowing
that once you've learned what you need to, you can do what you need
without being encumbered by horrid proprietary software that you can't
affect.

With regards to a "Migrating from Windows to Linux HOWTO", such a
document would be rather difficult to create.  As there are so many
different versions of windows, so many different versions of linux, and
(possibly more to the point) many, many different types of users out
there, such a document would be absolutely enormous.

My own opinion (and I would be very interested to hear from folks who
have a different viewpoint on this) but having such a document would go
against one of the principles of unix - do one thing and do it well.
Something that described a full migration of every possible setup (or
even a reasonable subset) would be enormous in scope.

I look back at when I first got started with linux in the mid 90's.  It
was difficult at first and frequently frustrating.  I had to read a lot
initially, experiment a lot and not a few occasions, break things before
I really learned.

Of course, it depends on the type of user you are.  If you talk about a
stereotypical "grandma" type user, their needs are likely to be less.

--
"I have one plan for linux.  World Domination."
 -Linus Torvalds

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc