Migration from Windows to Linux

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Wed Oct 27 15:25:01 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 13:49, David Ecklein wrote:
> For instance, one big problem is moving email accounts and settings
(where possible and relevant) from Win to Lin (and perhaps back again).
Even doing this between two Win systems is non-trivial and therefore
some excellent utilities have become necessary (and available) to aid
the user.  Most of these compress the source system email account into a
file which is later expanded appropriately on the target system.  The
ideal would be a similar utility to assist Win-Lin migration of email
accounts.  There may be such utilities; does anyone know?

Have you looked at Evolution
(http://www.novell.com/products/evolution/), or Evolution's Outlook
Connector? This might not be exactly what you are looking for, and if
not, I suggest looking at Mozilla's email client (as recommended in
http://www.groupsrv.com/linux/viewtopic.php?p=82741) and saving the mail
in a non-proprietary format, then move it to one of Linux's email
clients (if not just keeping it in Mozilla).

> There are many, many other issues in migration.  From listing
equivalent procedures and programs to suggesting appropriate means for
file conversions.  I have neither seen a helpful reference, nor even a
good website, dealing with the issues involved.

Usually, I find what I need with google. That's how I found the above
two solutions (both of which I've used and worked enough for me to
migrate a client's workstation to Linux without their IT department
getting upset). Of course, either of the above solutions might not be
what you are looking for, but I don't know enough about the problem to
be more precise.

If such does not exist, then for those who understand both worlds well
and can write to those who do not, without condescension and with a
minimum of acronymitis, there is an opportunity to generate a best
seller or some heavy internet traffic.  "Mad-dog" Hall's invaluable
primer helped me get Linux running a few years ago; perhaps he can write
a sequel to show me and the other "dummies" how to get our stuff off M$
and onto the right system.

This is a substantial project that several people have looked at. The
problem is that by the time the book/HOWTO/... is published, it is out
of date and/or no longer matches the software (either on MS or Linux).
However, your mail migration situation appears to be something that
should be addressed by either the Evolution, Outlook, and/or Mozilla
vendors.

Of course, since it hasn't been addressed by the vendors, the users have
come up with a solution. You just have to google for it. Too bad there's
not a vendor for the users ;-)

> Maybe it's not possible or practical - or the dish has too many
flavors.  But maybe not, which is why I am asking.

There are an awful lot of places where things can go wrong in a
migration. Describing them, and the possible solutions, is problematic.
Not impossible, but not easy. And it definitely won't be a good read as
a result of all the complications. And it would take more than just a
bit of effort to avoid liability and IP claims.

> Believe me, this is an important issue.  One which often keeps users
chained to Windows for their working system and Linux mainly as their
once-in-awhile educational playtoy.

I'm not sure about that - I've been using Linux on my working systems
for years and years. Every time I try to use Windows for any real work,
I get burned; I don't see how anyone can use Windows to get any work
done (real or otherwise).