Migrating from Windows to Linux

David Ecklein dave at diacad.com
Thu Oct 28 22:43:01 EDT 2004

Jeff-

Thanks for the suggestions.

I mentioned "maddog"s book in one of my previous emails.  Definitely my pick
for intro to Linux, and it helped me to get my first system up on Red Hat
5.something a few years ago.  I must say, at that time, I was not
particularly impressed with the stability or useability of Linux.  I set up
an email account on it, but the thing crashed after a few days use.  I had
no clue how to rescue my email, but since the penguin was merciful and died
almost at birth, I lost little.  I went back to Windows until things looked
more
mature.  RH 7.2 did look far, far better.

But Hall's book has little to do with migration.  That would be an excellent
topic for a sequel - "How to get my stuff out of M$ and into Linux for
Dummies".  Hall is a great technical writer who anticipates rough spots for
the target reader, and eschews the "cutesy" prose often found in these types
of primers.

As a bookaholic, I have accumulated a six-foot shelf on Linux, many full of
jargon obscure and incomprehensible to me, and about topics which do not
hold my attention or interest in the least.  I have subscribed to various
Linux mags with similar result.

Dave Ecklein