Moving Linux Boot Partition

greg greg at kettmann.com
Tue Sep 7 10:06:02 EDT 2004

My "home" server is older and running Red Hat 7.3 (AMD 450Mhz, 384MB
memory).  Simple stuff, Apache, Samba, FTP, and SSH for the most part.
It began with an 8GB HD which currently has the /boot and /
subdirectories.  The bulk of the storage is on a 120GB drive with a
/shared subdirectory.  I'd like to "add" another 120GB drive, which
isn't easy based on the physical layout of the machine.  I see three
main options:
1)  Find a way to add a third drive - possible, but not my first choice
2)  "Move" the /boot and / partitions to the current /shared drive and
replace the 8GB with the 120GB drive - Sounds very difficult, is it even
possible.  I do have partition magic, if it would help.
3)  Reinstall a more "current" release of Linux - arguably the easiest
but doubtless I have modified this machine in ways I don't remember so
there will be some migration pain.

Is two possible?  Relatively easy or fairly difficult?  What are the
basic steps?

Thanks in advance.  I'm just looking for quick answers with advice on a
wise path to move forward.  GGK