Problem with recursive searches.

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Tue Sep 14 11:59:00 EDT 2004

Hello, all.  Recently, I set up a new server at my job; it's running a
self-compiled (for various, relatively exotic, reasons) 2.6.6 kernel,
Debian testing.  My first sign of this particular problem was that
"updatedb" wouldn't run.  I even wrote the developer; no dice.  Finally
decided, "Well, who needs them, anyway.  I'll do my own."  So I wrote a
little script to do a find from the top level, zip it, and have locate
do a grep on the uncompressed output.  Put it in crontab... and watched
it fall flat on its face.  Running find -- as any user -- on root dies
thusly:

# find /
[some 200-odd files scroll by, all from /root]
/root/.Xauthority
find: ./.. changed during execution of find

Using "strace", I've determined that this is the same place that
updatedb dies.  updatedb used to die on a different file -- an
unnecessary one -- so I'd deleted it, and it had gone some 100 files
further before dying.  I'm guessing the error message means that it
thinks its parent directory has changed during execution, and I can't
figure out why it would think that.  Google shows that this happens a
lot with Cygwin, but not a whole lot in Linux-land.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Ken