Problem with recursive searches.

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Tue Sep 14 15:38:01 EDT 2004

Michael ODonnell wrote:

>I suspect find's symlink dereferencing behavior, so here's a
>shot in the dark: try toggling your dereference option, ie.
>if you're telling find to dereference symlinks, try the same
>search but don't dereference.  If you aren't, then do so...

Kudos.  "find -follow" works like a charm.  Except:

I'm just kind of puzzled; the directory has no symlinks (or links of any
other type) in it.  Nor does /.  Any idea why de-referencing symlinks --
that, as far as I can tell, it hasn't looked at -- would cause this?  Is
this a filesystem issue, perhaps?  (I'm using XFS, but I've used it
before without issue.)

As an intermediate measure, I'm going to use the output of "ls -Ral",
and parse it a little with Perl; it's got juicier info than "locate"
spits back, anyway...

Thanks,

-Ken

P.S. Kevin: no supermount; simple NFS-via-automount and local mounts.