Re-installing W98 without endangering the Linux partitions?

Randy Edwards redwards at golgotha.net
Sat Sep 18 20:38:00 EDT 2004

 >  So, I'm considering the Microsoft re-install dance.  And yes,
 > I'll do backups of the Linux stuff first.  But I'm looking for tips,
 > war stories, and warnings as to what to say to W98 install to minimize
 > the likelihood of having to restore the Linux partitions.

   Good instinct, but don't worry too much about it.

   Win98 will have to be on /dev/hda1.  It won't see the other Linux
partitions, and won't mess with them either (unless you really get stupid
with FDISK).

   Win98 will take over the master boot record.  Make sure you have a boot
floppy or CD so you can boot Linux.  You'll then just have to boot Linux and
rerun GRUB or LILO so Linux can take back the MBR (and of course you'll have
to add your Windows boot option to GRUB/LILO, but you probably already have
that).

   I'm assuming you're already familiar with installing Win98.  My strong
preference for Win98 is to boot from the CD and to get to a DOS prompt, then
to do a "format c: /s /v" to reformat the DOS partition.  I then always copy
the files from D:/WIN98/*.* to C:/WIN98, and then run setup from
C:/WIN98/SETUP.EXE.  This way the install goes much quicker than from the CD
and in the future Windows will never prompt you for the CD to get the cab
files.

   But really, it isn't tricky -- just make sure you have the Linux boot
floppy or CD to reinstall your boot manager.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who get binary, and those who
don't.