Evolution and Exchange - a Global Catalog Server question

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Fri Sep 24 09:54:01 EDT 2004

In a message dated: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:43:18 EDT
Jeff Macdonald said:

>I just realized that I can access work's Exchange server with
>Evolution and the Exchange Connector using Fedora Core 2 (connector is
>at Dag's site). Everything works great, but the Global Catalog Server.
>Seems that doesn't use WebDav but LDAP. I also have ssh access to
>work, so I can redirect local ports on my local box to the AD server
>at work. I've tried appending the port number using :1389 for the
>server (ie localhost:1389) and having ssh direct that to 389 to the AD
>server. That didn't work.

I'm a little fuzzy on what you're trying do.  Could you explain in a
little more detail what your set up is, and the things you've tried (I'd
like to see hostnames and ssh commands for the port redir you've tried,
it'll better help me understand what you thought process is.)

Also, I believe that Exchange Connector relies on the Exchange OWA
service being turned on (OWA is Open Web Access, and allows you to use
Exchange via a web client, though, my experience is that it only works
well withh IE, and if you've got IE, then you may as well just use
Outlook!)

Seeya,
Paul