BitTorrent and Comcast?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Sep 27 16:47:01 EDT 2004

On Sep 27, 2004, at 16:05, Bill Freeman wrote:

> What probably matters is whether their network monitoring people watch
> for, notice, and object to, the kind of activity that BitTorrent
> generates.

Right - good luck pinning them down on it too - they allegedly like to
change the rules to suit their needs while pointing the TOS as defense.

Remember, technically lots of things are 'servers' - FTP's data
connection, videoconferencing, ntp, heck, even TCP's 3-way handshake if
you want to push the definition.

I personally wouldn't classify BitTorrent in the category since it's
not "only" serving, but they might see it differently, especially if
you feed alot of traffic.  I've argued that BitTorrent should test
network connectivity to peers and prefer local peers and then Comcast
should _like_ BitTorrent because a majority of the traffic would not
transit their Internet ($$$) connection, but prefer other Comcast
peers.

-Bill
----
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Text: bill+text at bfccomputing.com