Spam control (was: BitTorrent and Comcast?)

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Wed Sep 29 14:14:00 EDT 2004

>> There also seems to be the new trend of sending crap emails that
>> have no content and random words..  I think those are just sent
>> to verify email addresses, but then there's no product or service
>> being sold.
>
>sometimes this is just in the text/plain part - the ad is in the
>text/html part.

And many times there are URLs with tagged GIF-names or tagged
hostnames embedded in them that help them instrument how well
their efforts are succeeding, like these:

   http://some.spammers.site/yourSpecialIDcookie.gif
   http://yourSpecialIDcookie.spammers.site/whatever

..and I've always thought what a tragedy it would be if
your browser had a bug in it that caused it to go into an
infinite loop that caused it to instead keep re-fetching
those items with accidentally corrupted URLs like these:

   http://some.spammers.site/aDifferentRandomStringEachTime.gif
   http://aDifferentRandomStringEachTime.spammers.site/whatever

So make sure your browser has no such bugs - poor quality
software is a scourge on us all.