USB CD Burners?

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Sat Apr 2 11:17:01 EST 2005

Derek Martin wrote:
..
> FWIW it's about twice what you're looking to spend, but I think it's
> worth the extra money to get the DVD burner.  Huge amounts of data,
> fast fast fast.  And it burns CDs too, if that's all you really want.

It probably would be worth it, but alas, I'm cash strapped till I get a
real job.

> In theory, any drive should work fine, since they all pretty much just
> implement SCSI over USB.  That's well supported in the Linux kernel.
> But as with everything else, YMMV.

That's what I was hoping for, but I've had bad luck with no-name
internal burners before.  My "COMBO-52X16" DVD/CDRW won't detect the
presense of a blank disk.  Probably just needs a firmware update, but
I'm too lazy to pull it out of my desktop to get the actual manufacturer
name.  At least with a USB drive I can lug it to a Windows PC and run
any needed firmware updates.

I was thinking of getting a cheap LaCie, MadDog Multimedia, or Hi-Val
drive.  They're running under $70 at CompUSA...

Brian

| brian+sig at datasquire.net          http://www.hirebrian.net  |
| IT/MIS Manager - 6 Yrs Experience - Contract or Permanent   |
|          Self-taught, Fast Learner, and Team Player         |
|            Ready to Start TODAY at Your Company.            |