php/mysql setup issues

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Wed Apr 6 08:45:01 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 14:48 -0400, Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> New datapoint:
> I was getting:
> Warning: dl(): Unable to load dynamic library
> '/usr/lib/php4/20020429-zts/mysql.so' -
> /usr/lib/php4/20020429/mysql.so: undefined symbol: core_globals
> when I added an explicit load of the mysql.so module, so I located an
> older lib that was around and pointed the extension directory at it.
> Now I get:
>
> Warning: dl(): Unable to load dynamic library
> '/usr/lib/php4/20020429/mysql.so' - /usr/lib/php4/20020429/mysql.so:
> undefined symbol: core_globals
>
> Not an improvement, but info.

I assume you are using the pre-packaged PHP and Apache components
(ala .rpm or .deb)

If so, I would strongly suggest building both of these from the source.

I build Apache and PHP from the source all the time because it gives me
far greater control over how they are built and what's included.
Typically, the preconfigured rpm stuff has problems beyond the "plain
vanilla" expectations of those who create those packages.

Here, I offer my typical configure settings for both to get you started.
They are configured for a Red Hat/Fedora Core system. Modify at will to
suit your tastes.

You can, of course, download the source from the PHP and Apache
websites.

The big advantage of building these pups from the source is that the
configure script automatically scans your system to see what's
available, and will balk if it can't find something it absolutely needs,
and typically configure alternatives if it can.

Another big advantage is that you don't have to wait for the latest
releases to find their way into the rpms or the debs.

One of my scripts does a 'make' and a 'make install' after running
'configure'. You may consider removing the 'make' commands and run them
manually.

In short, make sure the scripts fits your needs before running them.

As far as MySQL, I still rely on the .rpms but may get into building
even that from the source, eventually.

Feel free to give me a buzz at 603-557-5986 if you like, because I've
been reading my email sporadically lately.

--
Fred Mitchell, HydraNuke.com
E-Commerce and Hosting Solutions