AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Re: USB CD Burners? - Problem

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Thu Apr 7 00:32:01 EDT 2005

Ok.

The machine runs:
$ uname -a
Linux alfred.datasquire.net 2.6.11-6mdk #1 Tue Mar 22 16:04:32 CET 2005
i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+ unknown GNU/Linux

Here's the deal.  Now I attach the drive ,and within SECONDS I get:
Apr  7 00:21:36 alfred kernel: usb 4-5: USB disconnect, address 4

WTF?!?

The CD burner continues with the last comman it got as if nothing
happened and my system has processes I can't kill:

8253 ?        00:00:00 scsi_eh_0
8254 ?        00:00:00 usb-storage
8312 ?        00:00:04 k3b
[root at alfred ~]# kill -s 9 8253
[root at alfred ~]# kill -s 9 8253
[root at alfred ~]# kill -s 9 8254
[root at alfred ~]# kill -s 9 8254
[root at alfred ~]# kill -s 9 8254
[root at alfred ~]# kill -s 9 8312
[root at alfred ~]# kill -s 9 8312
[root at alfred ~]# kill -s 9 8312
[root at alfred ~]# kill -s 9 8312

dmesg tells me:
usb 4-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
SCSI subsystem initialized
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb-storage: device found at 4
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: Memorex   Model: 52MAXX 3252AJ1    Rev: 4WS2
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 00
usb-storage: device scan complete
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 255x/52x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 5
usb 4-5: USB disconnect, address 4

A reboot (either a reboot command or an init 6 or 0) now hangs.

WTF?