I find this *really* annoying

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Fri Apr 8 09:50:01 EDT 2005

Travis Roy <travis at scootz.net> writes:

>>But they have no need to know:
>>
>> - to whom I send e-mail
>> - when I send e-mail
>> - from where I send e-mail
>
> Since you are sending your email through their network, couldn't they
> find out this information anyway? How does not using their mail server
> prevent them from seeing the info you listed there?

I didn't say they couldn't find out, but it's a lot harder for them to
sniff the network and separate my traffic from everyone elses just to
discern this information.  Contrast this amount of effort with some
random ISP employee who for some reason comes across my name, figures
out I'm a customer of theirs, and then decides to "browse" mail server
logs where every transaction is logged.

Or, say the marketing/sales group who wants to gather customer stats
by culling their mail server logs for "interesting" data and trends.

Sure, because I'm on their wire, they can obviously find out some
level of information about me.  But by me relaying through their
servers, I make it really easy for them.

Btw, by NOT relaying through their servers, I'm saving them money,
they ought to thank me for that, all of their customers should be so
accomodating :)

--

Seeya,
Paul