I find this *really* annoying

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at iname.com
Sun Apr 10 21:01:02 EDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Paul Lussier wrote:
> http://spamblock.outblaze.com/, which is apparently in use by whatever
> mail server Ben S. is behind, is referring to http://www.us.sorbs.net/
> in order to list IP addresses to block e-mail from.

   Ahhh, that's just great.

   FWIW, I ha(ve|d) configured my various upstream providers such that they
deliver all my spam, raw and uncut.  I use more sophisticated means for mail
filtering at my end.  Given the volume of spam I've been receiving is
unbelievably low, I pretty much figured somebody was still doing something,
but didn't bother looking into it.  I'm looking into it now.

   I believe Outblaze is somehow connected to the organization which provides
my dragonhawk at iname.com email address.  Many moons ago, iName was a nice
third-party forwarding service.  They've since been bought, sold, and merged
into oblivion.  They haven't quite managed to destroy all value for me yet,
but they're trying.

   Sorry for the inconvenience.

   Since everyone else has put in their two bits on anti-spam, here are some of
mine:

   Rule #1: There is no Final Ultimate Solution To The Spam Problem.  That
means your anti-spam solution may not be somebody else's, and vice versa.
Stop assuming that because you or I don't like a solution, nobody likes it.

   Blacklists are elective.  It is up to the MX operator or mail user to employ
blacklists.  While many blacklists should not be used for anything, blaming
the blacklist isn't right either.  If I (or my ISP) is blocking your mail, you
should get pissed at me (or my ISP), not SORBS.

   As others have mentioned, a large quantity of spam does come from IP
addresses listed on SORBS.  For some MX operators, any collateral damage they
get by blocking based on SORBS might be far exceeded by the benefit they get
in reduced spam.  See Rule #1, above.  Of course, for, me, personally, this is
rather inconvenient, since it means that *I* end up being part of the
collateral damage.

   Bloody Vikings.

--
Ben <dragonhawk at iname.com>