free software alternative to Access

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Sat Apr 16 09:20:01 EDT 2005

I'm working with the Greater Nashua Habitat for Humanity.  We have an
annual fundraiser that includes many affiliates from New Hampshire and
Northeastern Massachusetts.  Our current solution to take registration
information uses a Microsoft Access Database that one of our members
developed.  Although our primary focus is having something that gets
the job done, I would prefer to use free software where possible.  It's
disappointing to have to tell people that they can't use the software
we developed because they bought the "standard" version of MS Office,
which does not include Access.  There are ways of getting discount
prices for software for non-profits, but any money we spend on software
is money that can't go towards building houses.

Does anyone know of any free software packages that we can use?
Basically, we have hikers and teams of hikers that raise money.  We
want to keep track of how much money each hiker contributed, and keep
their names and addresses, so that we can mail them a brochure for next
year's hike.  Most of the laptops that people own or borrow for the
event have some version of windows on them.  Some sort of bootable CD
with USB flash drives for the datastore might be optimal.

--Peter