free software alternative to Access

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Apr 18 00:10:01 EDT 2005

On Apr 17, 2005, at 17:16, Jeff Smith wrote:

> it might be too easy - everyone does it,
> then expects it to be robust

Aye, there's the rub - one might not expect it to be scalable, but it
should at least be robust.  Sadly, I've spent many an hour rescuing
people from corrupted Access databases.  The odd part is they're not
terribly outraged that it happened in the first place - almost
accepting.  I realize which corner of the country Access comes from,
but if postgres borked my database I'm be a few notches higher than
miffed, as would the postgres dev team (after they blame my hardware,
of course).

I don't expect ooofice's XML database to be a speed demon, but I
certain do expect that it won't destroy itself.  Oops, preaching to the
pastor again.

-Bill

-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle

For fastest support contact, please follow:
http://bfccomputing.com/support_contact.html