Family-friendly contact manager

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu Apr 21 09:30:01 EDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 06:23:30PM -0400, Kevin D. Clark wrote:

> Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org> writes:
>
> > Well that's what I was really looking for, or something MySQL backed so they
> > can make an ODBC call to print out holiday labels.  Strangely enough,
> > I think we'd find more use for that than easily looking up e-mail
> > addresses.
>
>   The Scene:  December in the Komarinski Household.
>
>   Family member #1:  I'm trying to lookup our cousin's Christmas
>   wishlist, but I'm having some trouble with the ODBC bindings for
>   Ruby.  Specifically, when I execute "SELECT * FROM wishlist
>   WHERE gift IS NULL;" I get inconsistant results.

Naw.  We already have that and it works really well.

http://phpgiftreg.sourceforge.net/

> If your family can't even spell ODBC, then you're probably all the
> last remaining vestages of a family that made its fortune selling
> buggy-whips.  (-:

We're a pretty large family, so my wife and I send out 150-200 cards a year.
Doing a mail merge for the labels would be a lot easier.  As it turns out,
at least two of my relatives are sharing copies of an access database
for doing this, so centralizing it would be a good thing.

May as well start on this now, so I have 7 months to get it all figured out.

-Mark